Tuesday, January 8, 2013

8/2 12:43PM

Day one of work is halfway through. Just stopped for lunch and a break.
I was woken up this morning by Dawn and Lucy who were walking down to the river. Dawn was having a morning mandi (bath). Breakfast was at 7. Rice, noodles, tofu and cereal and oatmeal for those who already didn't want Indonesian.
Ruth took us to the bridge, where we carried wood. Lucy and I jumped into the swamp almost immediately to lay out a basic path with the iron wood planks.
I hear the buzzing or flies, trees in the wind, and distant chainsaws. I smell fire. I taste my grape-water mix. I feel the dripping down the backs of my legs and in the middle of my chest. I see my tired group laying out of the sun on mats, napping or resting. The heat has already taken it's toll.

No comments: